Entries for the 2021 Commonwealth Youth Awards open.
An opportunity to win prestigious titles and cash grants await all exceptional young people through submitting their entries for the 2021 Commonwealth Youth Awards.
These awards seek to identify and reward those young people who, through their works, have created a positive change to people and the communities in their respective countries.
Eligibility is for young leaders who come from the 54 Commonwealth countries and these can enter through the regions of Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Europe, and Canada, as well as Pacific.
Entries will be judged according to the impact, sustainability and level of innovation by a Pan-Commonwealth panel of judges after the submission.
- For the winners, 20 finalists will be chosen by the judges and each given a trophy, a certificate and a cash prize of £1,000.
- An additional £2,000 will be given to five regional winners as will be chosen from the 20 finalists.
- An announcement of the finalists and winners will be made during the Commonwealth week in March 2021.
- The title of the Commonwealth Young Person of the Year. 2021 and a total cash prize of £5,000 will be awarded to the overall winner.
In addition, young people who have prominently tackled development challenges fronted by the Covid-19 pandemic will also be given special recognition.
What’s the focus of this year’s awards?
General Patricia Scotland, the Commonwealth Secretary, said: “The Covid-19 pandemic has severely upended the lives and prospects of our young people. It has created an unprecedented health challenge, unavoidable disruption to work, training and education, and a future full of uncertainty.
She added that young people face a terrible future with decades of poverty, unemployment and social upheaval with its related economic setbacks unless a strong, global response is sought to avert the effect.
The Commonwealth Secretary, however, is optimistic that through harnessing their talent, passion and ingenuity, the young population has an opportunity to turn this adversity into advantage.
She adds that the awards seek to recognize the young people and also give them a platform to showcase their ideas, solutions and technologies as well as highlight the powerful and positive impact they are making in their communities, countries, and across the globe during these turbulent times.
One’s eligibility depends on;
- Being a Commonwealth citizen and aged 15 to 29 years;
- One’s engagement in development work for at least 12 months professionally or voluntarily; and
- Showing a strong track record of implementing impactful development work and contributing to one of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The deadline for the entries is on 21st October 2020 by 23:59 Hrs.
The launch of the awards was at a Commonwealth Action Series webinar to mark International Youth Day.
Send in your entry for the 2020 Commonwealth Youth Awards here